Monday, June 11, 2007

Elite tour really begins!













Day 2
El Centro, California to Gila Bend, Arizona
We started at 5:30 a.m. I completed the 190 mile ride at 6:05 p.m. Temperatures started in the high 60's and soared well above the century mark today. My bike computer showed the temperature finally dropping below 100 degrees at 4:30 p.m.
I was very fortunate today to have excellent riding companions in Dan Fuoco and Brad Haslam. Together we ground through a brutal crosswind/head wind from mile 40 through mile 124. The wind softened us up in the morning and the furnace like heat ended a lot of rides early today.
Dan has a lot of common sense and encouraged me to use my brain and ride at a sensible pace during the maximum exposure to heat this afternoon. Matt and I rode through a pretty impressive dust storm within 3 miles of the hotel. With almost no warning a circulating cloud of dust completely engulfed us and I couldn't see Brad just a few feet away. I was blown completely across one lane of traffic. Just as quickly the cloud was gone.
Awesome service today from Pac Tour as we had exactly what we needed to keep going when we needed it.
Many more stories but I need to sign off for this evening.



1 comment:

Pastor Steve's Musings said...

George, Sounds like you had quite a day! I'm exhausted just reading about it. Great photos! I'm praying God will give you strength and keep you safe.
-Pastor Steve Crane