Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Another terrific day on the bike













Tuesday, June 12
146 miles from Gila Bend, AZ to Globe, AZ
I tried to use today as a recovery day from yesterday's ride of attrition. I was a little worried about how my legs would feel after my 11 hours on the bike yesterday. I didn't cramp up during the ride but last night at dinner I had some painful spasms in my thighs.
I guess all the "Hammer supplements" that Lon and Susan (Pac Tour owners) provide to us actually work. Because today I didn't have any lasting effects from yesterday's exertion in the heat. I have been getting 2/3 of my calories during the day while I am riding from specially formulated drinks, followed by lots of capsules full of electrolytes. Yummy. Drinking my calories let's me keep food in my stomach as opposed to...well I will end this thought here.
So today was flat for a long time (until mile 108) and we had a tail wind the entire day. Even though I was using today as a recovery day you still need to pedal and especially so uphill. We climbed to about 4,500 feet elevation and experienced some relief from the heat later in the day. (mostly in the air conditioning of my hotel room)
Tomorrow is going to be a real test. We reach about 9,000 feet elevation at one point and we will climb for a total of about 11,000 feet.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for the update. My brother, Rich Ruge is riding with you. Please send my best.
Sandy

Eric Nafziger said...

Hey George,
The pic's are great, & it's awesome to see where youve been! Hope that today was another good day. I hope that you didnt have any more cramp/spasm episodes. I'm sure after all the climbing it feels good to drag yourself into Springerville. Just think tomorrow you leave AZ behind you, then it's look out NM. I suggest a little night ride under the skies there, but watch out for the little green men! Have a great day tomorrow, Keep you head up!
Eric....