Thursday, June 21, 2007












Day 12 Mena, AR to Batesville, MS
This morning was tough because I was afraid I might have to quit the ride. Overnight the Achilles tendon really began to hurt and this morning I looked ridiculous hobbling around. I could barely walk.
Pac Tour owner, Lon Haldeman, can fix anything. Before today's ride he taped up my ankle so that the tendon would not receive any pressure while pedaling. So today I focused on recovery. I sat in a very steady paceline and took it easy.
Today we rode the flattest terrain of the tour. The fields on each side of the river were very green. Soybeans looked good close to the river but no so good 30 miles east. The fields were wet but the plants didn't look so great.
I keep looking for a Case International tractor, but this is Deere country...Sorry Don G. Anyway enough about agriculture.
So I'm doing pretty well. The ride today convinced me that it will be possible to ride through this tendon thing. This evening Lon drilled out my shows and moved the cleats back about an inch. So I have been given some tools to deal with this problem.
I really appreciate all the help I have received. Pac Tour riders and staff have been great. The RAAM Qualifier dream continues.
Thanks again for checking the blog.

1 comment:

Eric Nafziger said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!
Keep working through it, I'm happy to hear that you had a good day of recovery! I'm guessing by the pictures that you have either figured out a way to hold the camera, or your hands are getting better. I'm hopping for the later! Just think after Fri. you only have 4 little days left! Keep your head up, you can do this thing!
Eric....