Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 10 Ada, OK to Mena, AR









Day 10
We are safe and sound after a challenging day. We rode a 120 mile warm up and then finished off with a 54 mile climbing fest on the Talemina parkway. Total mileage 174 miles.
The humidity was close to 100% all day with temps in the 90s. We were cooled off by an awesome thunderstorm that lasted about an hour. I was never on top of a mountian for a thunderstorm, what a rush! The temps dropped from 91 degrees to 63 degrees in about 15 minutes. Some of the riders reported hail but I think it was just a really hard rain. I experienced a severe loss of breaking power on the 15% descents but otherwise it was okay.
New sensation today. I have a numbness in my hands from riding bike all day. This morning I lost the ability to upshift my gears because I didn't have the strength in my fingers. I dropped out of the group and rode by myself in the aerobars for a while so that I didn't have to work the brakes. Other than that I am holding up pretty well.
Day 10 and the RAAM qualifier dream is alive.
No Internet at the hotel this evening. This blog brought to you by mcdonalds.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Good Morning,

Especially loved the photo captions.

Keep pedaling! Give a "shout out" to my brother, Rich.

Sandy

Eric Nafziger said...

What a nice entry into AR. I prayed that God would keep you cool during the day, sorry about the rain & all. I'll be more clear, & just ask for a tail wind for today. (hope it showed up) What an awesome time of reflection on your life while cruising down a hill with poor brakes. Well in all seriousness I hope your hands are doing better, & that what ever inflamation that is causing the problem gets better. Hope today was a good ride, Stay strong, ride smart!
Eric....

Ivan Umble said...

Mcdonald's!! What a nutritious way to start the day!! I was a little worried when there was no blog this morning. I thought maybe the Mt. was victories. No way!!! "George rides On!!" You go George!!!

Ivan Umble

mnrp said...

Cheers to you, George! And cheers to Stuart Levy from his Union comrades. Hope all is going according to plan. :)

-Michael