Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Day 11 Mena, AR to Pine Bluff, AR








Day 11 is complete and my RAAM qualifier status remains alive for another day.
Statistically today was an easy day. The trees sheltered us from the winds. The sky was overcast so we didn't get the full blast from the sun. The climbing was mostly rollers. No long sustained grinds. And the distance was only 175 miles.
For George however it was not an easy day. I feel great about getting on the bike and working but I am struggling with 2 out of three points of contact between my body and the bike. Numbness in my hands makes me clumsy (I'm dropping everything) and now my Achilles tendon in my right leg is causing all sorts of problems.
I'm not taking as many pictures right now because I'm afraid I will drop the camera. There were some great photo ops today... Anyway by the end of the day I figured out away to hold my camera and use my thumb to snap the picture. We will see how well that works tomorrow.
The cool thing about this trip is how hard we are rooting for each other to succeed. I was humbled today repeatedly by the number of acts of kindness that I received. It really made me think, am I this aware of other people's needs? I guess I better start working on this one right away.
Thanks also to those of you who send emails or leave comments on the blog it is appreciated.
I said good by to Tom Rosenbaurer this morning. Tom had ridden every inch of the tour until the 206 mile day 9 when he didn't make the time cut at the last sag stop (mile 188) He rode one more day but his heart was not in it. Work needs and a desire to be with his family became much more intense once the dream was gone.
This bike ride would be very hard to continue for me if I don't complete one of the days, so I can understand Tom's decision (especially since he has already crossed the country twice on a bike) Good luck Tom and I will see you on a Brevet ride this fall.
Also I would like to hear an update on Brad Haslam. I think about him and how he is doing after the accident. Please email me at george@rittenhousebuilders.com
*****for a video of the rain we road through on day 9 check out Vernon Smith's elite tour blog. It was impressive!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

George,

You are the man! Keep up the positive spirit and the will to succeed. Please pass along to all the survivors that we are cheering each and every one of you on to GA -- I look forward to your pictures tomorrow with the new approach to "beat the numbness"! Pls say hi to Jeff Linder. Thank you.

Terry Ryan

Eric Nafziger said...

George,
Impressed with your blog today! You are really laying your heart & desire out there! You can do this thing, mind over matter, reliance on your faith, & the positiveness that you continue to display will get you there!
I'm glad that you all are rooting for each other, & taking care of each other, that's important. Another state down, hello old MS, GA is insight! Keep Going Man!!!
Eric....

Robin said...

George,
Your doing great!!!! Keep positive thoughts your almost there! Our prayers are with you til the END. You can do it! Go get'em!!!!

Robin :)