Monday, June 25, 2007

Day 16 Eufaulo, AL to Dublin, GA













What a vacation! For 16 days the real world has been held at bay. I haven't been to work, seen my family, or went to Church. My biggest responsibility each day is to get my bag packed and loaded into the Pac Tour trailer within a 10 minute time slot.
.
I'm looking forward to returning to the real world again because I miss my family. I was talking to Lon this evening and he mentioned that many cyclists will experience a bit of depression once they go home, because of the loss of focus. (Our time is very regimented on tour) I think I will be so busy when I go home that this will not be a problem for me but we will see. I'm very excited because we have special guests visiting our family in just a few weeks.
.
So yes we rode bike today. The rolling hills of western Georgia gave way to flat terrain. Today we kept moving if at all possible. Not because we where feeling sporty but because the gnats here will eat you alive. I had two flats today and I spent as much time trying to beat the gnats away as changing the flat. Thanks to Scott on flat #2 he found the problem and made the change for me.
.
It was a great day to be on the bike, good riding buddies, no rain, and no crashes.
.
Tomorrow's blog. I will post a short note at the end of the day and then post a wrap up over the upcoming weekend. Thank you for your comments and encouragement. Day 16 ends and the RAAM qualifier dream remains alive!

6 comments:

Eric Nafziger said...

George,
If you get this before Tue.'s ride, Go Get Em! Don't ride "stupid", but ride with the big dog's, & post that board one more time!
If you've gotten this after the ride, I hope it was an awesome day! I know you finished strong. I saw the humidity levels for your are on Tue. & hope you put a whole lot more than your wheel in that Ocean!
Looking forward to seeing you on Wed. morning. I will be on the airport ramp awaiting your call for curb side pickup. Way to go man, you lived your dream!
Eric....

Sandy said...

Thank you George for your daily blog and photos.

Sandy, (Rich Ruge's much younger sister!)

Mark and Brenda Luikart said...

Thank you George for your daily blog. Scott Luikart's Mom, family, and friends enjoyed your insights as you treked the country. Congrats on an monumental achievement.

Mark Luikart

Unknown said...

I have really enjoyed you postings each day. I have 2 friends on your tour, Kevin and Chris Kaiser. Please tell them Hi for me. I'm crewing on the PAC Tour Grand Canyon trip this Fall, my 6th PAC Tour.
Congrats to all of you that RAAM qualified, maybe I will do it next time!
Cary Way
Murfreesboro, Tn

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. You guys are the ones I look up to.

I hope to meet you at Tybee beach this afternoon. I've been waiting for you to get here as I read your daily progress.

Ric Hollis
Richmond Hill, GA

Anonymous said...

Good Job George!

I've been lurking, following your progress and just want to say thanks so much for taking the time and making the effort to post. I've ridden a few long events (though nothing like this) and I know that at the end of the day, the shower, the chow, and the bed are all calling to you. Taking the time to post is a really big effort and I very much appreciate it.

I'm sure there will be some sort of temporary let down but the memories and friendships you've made will last for ever.

You guys are really awesome.