Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 15 Camden, AL to Eufaulo, AL
















Wow! Day 15 is in the can, and we have just two days to go. It is hard to believe that just two weeks ago we were in San Diego, CA. At that time I knew about three people on this ride. After an intense two weeks we recognize each other in the distance solely by how we pedal the bike.
I know who is a masher and who is a spinner. Some guys ride a little lopsided. We know who we can ride with comfortably and who will drive us nuts.
.
Me...I love to ride stupid. I'm happy to charge up a hill and sprint over the top regardless of the consequences for later in the day. Fortunately I have curtailed that habit pretty well (I know some would disagree!) for this trip. But this is how a lot of bigger guys ride. I know I will have a good day if I can ride with Charlie Combs at least till lunch. Charlie is an excellent rider who always rides within himself and this helps me behave so that I can ride stupid at the end of the day.
.
I have definitely learned a lot from the other cyclists on this trip.
The three H's sum up Day 15 for me. Hazy, Hot, and Humid but what did we expect riding through Alabama in June? It was weary 152 miles today mostly due to the three H's.
.
Dr. Lon definitely knows how to fix stuff. Day 2 without taping the ankle and the Achilles tendon is fine. I need to post pictures in the next day or so on the moving of the cleats. Moving the cleats is the long term solution to the Achilles problem (i think)
.
See you tomorrow



3 comments:

Eric Nafziger said...

GO, GO, GO, GO, GO! 2 days left, (one of you don't get this post till Mon.)
Forget the 3 "H's", keep telling yourself, you paid for this, & darn it your going to enjoy every sweat wringing, salt in the eye, heat stroke minuet of it! Your still the man!
Eric....

Greg said...

George -

All the gang says HI & Kirsten says "you must be sore and must be crazy for biking all those miles - you are officially the craziest person she knows!" NOW from the rest of us - can't wait to see you reach your goal - WE KNOW YOU WILL! Your are awesome (not crazy!)! Just think - you can still join us in the mountains to look for more of your "friends" I will never forget laughing with Eric at you zipped up in that sleeping bag!
Keep going and we'll see you soon!

The ESHES

Unknown said...

George,

I didn't know you when you started this awesome adventure -- now i feel like we are "blog buddies"!! The comments posted on the other blogs speak volumes to your good nature and high spirit - a smile is usually better than a frown -- thanks for all of your effort with words and pictures to describe this PACtour -- I would like to try the northern crossing sometime -- when I can take that kind of time. Please pass along my best wishes to the other bloggers, Geez, Sandiway and Vern -- and please give Jeff Linder a big ole hug for us back in Salinas/Monterey!

Happy pedaling and congratulations!!

Terry Ryan