Saturday, June 9, 2007

Arrival in San Diego








I arrived on time in San Diego with my luggage and bicycle intact. So far I'm 3 for 3.




The first PAC Tour rider I met today was Dan Fuoco. I had the great fortune to spend much of the PA 400K and 600K Brevet series rides this spring with his brother John. Dan was a last minute add to the Elite Tour. I have obsessed about this trip for 7 months and Dan is cool as a cucumber having just added his name to the list a scant three weeks ago.





I put my bike together as soon as I arrived this morning and I rode to the beach with another PAC Tour rider Harold Trease. Harold has spent the last 7 summers at this time of year officiating the Race Across America. I expect this will be a real change for him.





I wanted to get the full coast to coast experience so I dunked my wheels in the Pacific ocean at Mission Bay. California is great because I don't think anyone even looked at me as I walked to the beach in my cycling clothes and stuck my wheels in the water. Maybe a lot of cyclist do this, I don't know.





I rode 12 miles today at an average speed of 13 miles per hour. It was a little tiring. I guess I should back off and take it a little easier tomorrow....





Again for the real scoop on the elite tour check out all the blogs at www.Pactour.com




1 comment:

Eric Nafziger said...

Sun. 6/10
Hey Man, glad to see that you made it intact! Nice beach duds.
Today was your first taste, hope you arrived in el Centro feeling good. We are thinking of you often as your out there pedaling along. We are praying for your safety as well as your sanity! Go Get em Man!
Eric....